The Institute for Credible Leadership Development (ICLD 1) is based on the principle that all law enforcement professionals must lead within their scope of responsibility and must be given the tools to understand what leadership looks like, feels like and sounds like. It is designed to fill the void of leadership training which traditionally exists between entry-level and mid-level supervision.
ICLD I stresses the importance of understanding the true definition of policing and how participant’s actions and their organizational mission must align with that definition. You will be introduced to the expectations and responsibilities of first-line and mid-level supervisors and the concept of “Leading Down and Managing Up,” through a detailed summary of the best-selling book, “It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy”, by Captain D. Michael Abrashoff, and the powerful publication by IAPS “Moral Compass for Law Enforcement Professionals”. It takes a comprehensive look at leadership and ethics, identifying the most common ethical dilemmas in law enforcement and how they destroy public trust and individual careers.
ICLD I instructors and guest speakers are proven experts in the field of leadership who understand the importance of every employee’s role within an organization and how to influence all for positive organizational growth.At the end of this phase, students will be able to achieve the following objectives in accordance with the information received in class:
- Understand leadership concepts, principles, styles and practices.
- Understand the differences between leadership and management.
- Understand how to counter the Corruption Continuum.
- Understand why people are resistant to change and how to identify when it’s necessary and how to effectively implement it.
- Understand how influence and behavior regulation work together in the accomplishment of a mission.
- Identify the four Cornerstones of the Moral Compass.